»

October 9, 2008

Our Freedom To Vote


I thought I would venture out and create a post with a little different twist. As Dy and I were watching the presidential debate the other night, we both expressed general frustrations with the process. While it is great to have each side share their views, I get so frustrated with the 2nd grade name calling that goes on. Rarely do they actually answer the questions posed and it seems to be more about the bad the others are doing rather than the good ideas of their own. Having worked for a public policy think tank for a couple years, I definitely appreciate all of the time public servants put in...and most of their intentions. But I still have a hard time with antics that go along with politics.

While I tend to lean towards one candidate, I have not entirely made my decision yet. While Obama tends to be very polished as a speaker and presenter (which I agree is an important characteristic for a president), he seems to spend most of his efforts ripping on the current administration and trying to tie McCain to it all. However, last I checked most all of that legislation is voted on by congress controlled by Obama's party. In fact, many of his votes in the Senate are in support of the very pieces he rips apart. It sounds to me like he often is trying to just say what will best get him elected and not what we need. I do get leery about McCain's age and he definitely isn't as smooth an orator as his counterpart. Although their views are different, his personality is too much like Bush's...plus, what is the "Maverick" campaign about. Should we elect Mel Gibson instead? I also don't like his *health* plan as much as Obama's. However, I do like his experience and feel he and Palin would bring sincerity and integrity to the Whitehouse.

The point of the post is not to create a debate or argument about the candidates, rather to see what some of your thoughts are about the election/debate process in general. I am opposed to those who blindly vote straight party tickets. I get annoyed by people who are so polarized and irrational in their views they don't listen to a word you say (i.e. - environmentalists and PETA). To be honest, my vote is largely influenced by simple integrity and sincerity.

If you have any comments about the process I thought it would be fun to see your thoughts. Most importantly, though, I am grateful for the right to vote and for a country that really is a great place to live. Too often we forget the freedoms we are blessed with and such a positive overall quality of life we live. Be sure to get out there and exercise your right to vote on November 4.

3 comments:

markandkimcaldwell said...

I totally agree with the 3rd grade name calling, sometimes I can't even watch because it drives me crazy! And the Mavrick thing is almost enough to get anyone to change their vote. But like you, I'm grateful that we live in a country where we have the freedom to vote.

Jill said...

Wow Brett. Pretty Bold. I am a conservative republican who has strong opinions on government's reach and also on how assistance is provided to those in need. Presidential politics are comparable to the issues I have with goverment in general. I find that no one takes responsibility or accountability for their actions. Katrina happens and it's the governments fault, people lose their homes and it's the governments fault, people just don't take responsibility for the fact that yeah, maybe they made some poor decisions and now need to live with the consequences, no one wants to accept their actions. And Obama's tax plan is purely wealth redistribution. Why do the wealthy have to give their money away to someone who has to have no accountability to the grants/funds/assistance he is given? Trust me, when you are already paying a 45% tax rate and he wants more of your pay check, it really takes away your drive to go work and help people. If he's elected, I imagine Brian will be taking off 14 weeks a year and we will be down sizing homes. Sounds kind of nice-actually. And let's face it, Palin was a big mistake. I love women. I love women with power, but she's so inarticulate I can barely listen to her.

Janey said...

What? We actually agree on something?? lol I too am disappointed at the choices we have when the country is going through this financial crisis. Neither one will help get us out of this mess. All the finger-pointing at the last debate was laughable. It's like they are either lying, covering up, or distracting. I am either voting for a 3rd-party candidate (Alan Keyes) or voting against Obama, although I love Palin and wish she was at the top of the ticket. Too bad the media has smeared her good name. I love the fact that she is not from Washington. I don't know who to trust from Washington.