»

January 4, 2008

Snowshoeing 101

With Dy's new snowshoes for Christmas, we are excited to get out and enjoy the beautiful white stuff that is so plentiful in Utah at this time of the year. I have had snowshoes for a few years, but this is Dy's first pair. To help encourage others to join this great winter activity that is cheap and fun, I thought I would put a few snowshoeing tips on here.

One of the most basic things to remember is keep your stride natural. Don't try to modify or exaggerate your gait. When you maneuver up steep slopes, a good technique involves aggressive use of the front crampons. When you are traveling downhill, avoid leaning backwards onto the tails of the snowshoes whenever possible. When you are traversing slopes, stay upright and lean into the hill with each step.

There is one last tip that is probably the most important tip of them all to ensure an enjoyable time snowshoeing...DON'T FORGET YOUR SNOWSHOES! Sadly enough I am speaking from recent experience. It will, however, help verify just how well snowshoes really do work. A few points if that does happen to you; crawling will work if you follow behind someone who was smarter than you and actually has snowshoes, but using just one snowshoe doesn't work. You will still sink past your knees with every other step (Michelle may try to tell you otherwise).

Besides the inconvenience of being short one pair of snowshoes, it was still an enjoyable time and made for a great story to laugh at. Below are some of the pictures from our New Year's trek. For those wanting to do a little snowshoeing and are in the Salt Lake area, there is a few of us going on Monday, January 21 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day). The more the merrier.


























5 comments:

Katey said...

Wow it looks like you guys had a lot of fun on your little adventure. I will for sure be asking Michelle about using only one snowshoe! ;)

I might make my first snowshoeing attempt this coming Friday night. Hopefully I'll survive. I'm kind of looking forward to it and now with these tips...it should be even better! :)

Alanna said...

Dy
It's so good to hear how you are doing. I am glad that you had a fun time on your honeymoon and it sounds like life is good. I want to thank you again for being a wonderful visiting teacher!
I have a blog too you can look at if you want: www.alannamp.blogspot.com

Tiffany said...

Hilarious! Loved the Snowshoeing 101 experience! I've been before in CO, however I did bring along the shoes:). Thanks for the tips!

Leah Miller said...

Brett! It was fun to see pictures of you and Dyana. I am glad we have a way to stay in contact now. Ryan and I are moving back to Utah for good in May, so we will have to get together with you and Dyana then. Also, I am so sad that I missed your wedding reception...I was actually in Tooele during that time. I am pregnant and get horribly ill the first 3 months. Needless to say, I couldn't even lift my head off of the couch that night. I look forward to keeping up. CONGRATS on the wedding!!!!

Natalie Que said...

Glad you guys have a blog! It will be fun to keep in touch. Your wife is adorable Brett! It was fun to meet her at the wedding! Congrats again, you make a great couple!